Dog Licenses are issued by the City Clerk's Office & Finance Department first floor center lobby, City Hall. Licenses are issued for one year ending December 31st.
You may also register your dog online through the State of Maine web site. Note: This online service will only be available from Oct. 15 - Jan. 31.
New Licenses - If this is a first time registration, and the dog has been Neutered or Spayed, please bring in the Certificate showing the dog has been altered as well as the Rabies Certificate. New licenses need to be processed before the dog turns 6 months old, or if the dog is over 6 months old, then within 10 days of taking ownership, otherwise a $25.00 late fee will be assessed.
Renewal Licenses - For renewal registrations, you just need to bring in a current Rabies Certificate.
The fees are as follows:
- $6.00 for altered dog
- $11.00 for unaltered dog
- $42.00 for a Kennel with up to 10 dogs (Kennel means dogs used for breeding, hunting, show, training, field trials, sledding, competition or exhibition purposes). If more than 10 dogs in a Kennel, an additional fee of $42.00 will be charged.
- New Service Dogs - No Fee (A Service Dog Verification Form for Waiver of License Fee will need to be completed by applicant and a licensed Practitioner)
- Renewal licenses processed after January 31st, will incur a $25.00 late fee.
You must present the following at the time of registration:
- A current Maine rabies certificate
- A neutering or spaying certificate if the dog has been altered
LATE FEE: A late fee of $25.00 will be charged for any license renewed after January 31st.