Housing Safety - Multifamily Dwelling Unit Registration
Saco's Code Enforcement Department administers a multifamily dwelling unit registration and inspections program to improve safety and sanitary living conditions for the residents of multifamily dwellings by conducting regular inspections. This program ensures that properties come into compliance with current life safety codes and standards, and that owners are alerted to any detrimental conditions that could place tenants at risk.
Owner(s) of a multifamily dwelling building shall register their ownership with the City. Registrations are due October 1st of each calendar year or within 30 days of purchase of the property. If a new owner registers for the first time after October 31st, the annual registration fee will be prorated on a monthly basis. If a new owner registers mid-month, they will not be charged for the month in which they register. The registration is valid through September 30th of the following year or September 30th of the year in which they register. All registrations must be renewed by October 1st of every year.
Registrations will be done through the Code Enforcement Office. All fees shall be made payable to the City of Saco and shall be processed at the submission of the registration.
In the event the owner uses a property management firm or has a property manager, the owner shall provide the property manager's or property management firm's contact information at the time of registration. If the property management changes during the twelve-month registration period, the owner shall renotify the City within 30 days of the date of the change.
For more information about registration please visit the Code Enforcement Department at Saco City Hall, 300 Main Street, Saco, Maine; email firstname.lastname@example.org; or call (207)282-8202.
To register, you can complete the registration form online or deliver/mail your completed registration. An invoice will be sent based on applicable fees.
Multifamily Dwelling Unit Registration Form
* Submit your discount documentation via email to email@example.com
Violations and Enforcement
The Code Enforcement Office shall have the primary responsibility for enforcement of this article. If the Code Enforcement Officer, or his/her designee(s), determines that a violation of this article has occurred, he or she shall send a notice to the property owner indicating a violation exists, and a time frame for remediation shall be established. Subsequent violations of this article shall be subject to the penalties set forth below.
Violations are as follows:
- Failure to register by October 1 shall result in a fee of $250 assessed for each calendar day after that date until such time the registration fee and all penalty fees are paid in full.
- Failure to update property management/owner contact information shall result in a fee of $250 for each calendar day after the date of the change until such time the registration fee and all penalty fees are paid in full.
- Providing false information shall result in a fee of $1,000 for each calendar day after such information was provided until such time the registration fee and all penalty fees are paid in full.
- Renting a unit that has not been registered shall result in a fee of $250 for each calendar day after the unit was rented until such time the registration fee and all penalty fees are paid in full.