Dig Safe Notification
ROAD POSTINGS! Due to the unseaonably warm temperatures, the City of Saco has begun to post for heavy load traveling. For a complete list of roads that are posted effective February 21st, 2018, please click here
Please note, no travel is allowed on a posted road without written consent from the Department of Public Works. No permissions are being given at this time.
New and Helpful informaton about Recycling. What is and isn't and how to make your curbside collection easier!
Is This Recyclable?? You can actually ask Eco-Maine directly if you are confused what can be recycled and what can't! follow this link: Eco-Maine, RECYCLOPEDIA? There's even an App for that! By following this link you can also find information on how to download their latest version of the App for answersing questions even quicker!
Did you know placing non-recyclable items in your cart can really cause a problem for Eco-Maine? When placing something in your cart, ask yourself "what will this become?" If your item can not be broken down, melted, or burned into something else, it probably isn't recyclable. Placing these items in your cart can slow down and interfere with machines that do the sorting. As many items can be "composted" it's not the same as "recyclable"
We also created an easy to follow guide on what can be recycled, what should go in your trash, and what should be brought to the Transfer Station. Download Flyer
- Although collection is weekly, please wait until your cart is full or almost full, before placing them out for collection
- To avoid being missed, carts should be placed out for collection by 6:00 am. They do not guarantee same time service every week.
- Garbage and recycling are collected on the same day, however may be at different times.
- For the automated arm to work properly, allow 2 feet of clearance between carts or any other obstruction (parked car)
- Collection rarely will cancel due to inclement weather. Despite weather, unless you receive an email notification (by signing up for our distribution list) please have carts out as normal.
- ONLY the holidays highlighted will change your collections times. Collection schedule. Have carts out normally except for the holiday's specified.
- If NON - recyclable items are found to be in your recycling cart, this will result in your cart not being collected. (yard waste, construction debris or items not accepted curbside)
- All materials must be placed IN the cart. We can not pick up anything on top, or next to the cart. Additional recycling should be brought to the 2 drop off locations the City provides.
COMPOST BINS: The Public Works Department is selling compost bins for $49. These 80-gallon bins made of recycled plastic will help you turn yard and food waste into a rich garden soil.
Bins can be purchased directly at the Transfer Station, while supplies last. The transfer station can accept cash or check. The hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Purchasers must be a Saco resident.
Similar to picture below.
PARKING BAN AND SERVICE CANCELLATIONS
If you'd like to be notified of parking bans and service cancellations, please join our email distribution list.
You can also call (207) 282-SNOW (7669)
HAVE A STREET LIGHT OUT? You can actually report these outages directly to Central Maine Power through their online work order system. Street light repairs are repaired directly through CMP. Please visit their site.
TRANSFER STATION RELOCATION:
Grand Opening! Your next visit to the transfer station will look a little different. In an effort to address safety concerns to not only those using the Transfer Facility, but those using the athletic fields, the City "moved" the transfer station. Still located at 24 Foss Rd, however drive a little bit farther from where it was, and turn right. You will "check in" at the building upon entering through the gate and be directed where to dispose of your items. We hope you enjoy the new and improved disposal site!
Don't recycle alkaline batteries
Just a reminder that household alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D, 9V) are not recyclable and should be disposed of in your normal household trash. For more information on why, see our page on alkaline battery disposal.
Commercial disposal of leaf and yard waste
Notice to contractors: As of May 1, there will be a $5/yard disposal fee for all leaf and yard waste.
Concrete, asphalt and oil disposal changes
There are new procedures for citizens wishing to dispose of concrete, rock, asphalt or waste oil at the Public Works Department.
Recycling drop off container removed from train station area
Due to abuse, the "silver bullet" recycling container has been moved to the Public Works Department, 351 North Street. Access will be limited to normal working hours.
Think Blue is the campaign to halt water pollution caused by stormwater which sweeps pollution on the ground into rivers, streams, lakes and the ocean. For more on this issue, go to the Think Blue site.
REPORTING PROBLEMSPlease use the
CITY OF SACO HELPDESK
to report all problems.
Also please note that some issues are handled by other agencies:
- Street Lights Issues or Downed power lines
- Tree trimming around power lines
- Water Issues including shut off covers
Maine Water: 282-1543
- Trash and Recycling Curbside pick up
BBI Waste: 934-3880