Systems Engineer - Information Technology
Class Title: Information Technology Systems Engineer
Information Technology Systems Engineer
The Systems Engineer is responsible for the design, configuration and maintenance of the network and server hardware infrastructure. This will require in depth knowledge with programming of layer 2 and layer 3 devices, coding and scripting with powershell and other utilities, building and configuring both physical and virtual servers and providing service for current systems. This position will also work closely with end users and key operators throughout the city to provide support and to gather information that will aid in the future design processes.
This positions reports to the IT Deputy Director of Networks Operations.
- Engineers and configures the server environments (Physical and Virtual)
- Engineers and configures the Voice and Data Networks
- Configures, tests, and maintains LAN equipment and related services
- Create and maintain comprehensive documentation for all implemented networks
- Assist in preparation of proposals and solution presentations
- Identifies, diagnoses, and resolves network problems
- Windows Systems, software applications, anti-virus protection, email support and network security.
- Participate in 24x7 on-call rotation
- Provides the Network and Server maintenance
- Provides first level support including phone, on-site and remote assistance for all network users
- Hands-on experience implementing and administrating network devices as well as setting up and maintaining rights/security within a Windows Server 2003/2008 environment.
- Configure HP switches, Routers and VPN’s
- Wireless Networking
- Excellent End User Skills
- HP server platforms
- HP Workstations and Laptops in a Windows environment
- Windows Server 2003/2008 Active Directory
- Proficiency in virtualization and designing VM infrastructure
- TCP/IP, Ethernet, VoIP, and other required communication protocols
- Graduated from an accredited college with a computer science or network degree, four year degree preferred
- Two years or more of related experience preferred.
- Microsoft and HP Certifications a plus
TOOLS & EQUIPMENT USED
Personal computer, cellular phone, servers, telephone, photocopier, fax machine, and other peripheral devices.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tool or controls, reach with hands and arms, prolonged periods of standing and frequenting bending.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them form the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer: The City of Saco is strongly committed to diversity in its work force. We are an affirmative action / equal employment opportunity employer.
Please contact MaryLou Kadlik, Human Resources Deputy Director if you have any questions at (207)710-5037. To apply for this job click here and upload your resume and cover letter (in PDF format), or email email@example.com
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled