Early preservation interest and historic survey work in Saco began in the 1970s, with its current historic preservation efforts dating to 1990. It was at that time that a significant Main Street house was demolished, that challenged the Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) and City Council to pass amendments to the historic preservation ordinance supporting a more substantive effort with historic preservation. Currently, the Historic Preservation Commission reviews exterior renovations on 225 properties on Main, North, Elm, Beach, Cross, School, Middle and Vernon Streets shown as the Historic Preservation District on the City's zoning map.
The State and Federal government recognized the efforts of the HPC in 1991, and awarded the City of Saco its Certified Local Government status. This has enabled the Commission to obtain grant funding for various preservation projects throughout Saco.
Certificate of Appropriateness
The Historic Preservation Commission reviews exterior renovation projects, assessing the appropriateness of proposed renovations. Please refer to the Application Forms page for more information.
Isabelle Oechslie, Planning & Economic Development Associate, #207-282-3487 x. 353
Historic Preservation Commission Meetings
The Historic Preservation Commission typically meets on the second Wednesday of each month at 4 PM. Please refer to the Commission's Meeting Schedule. The meeting packet is available five days before the meeting and contains all application materials for review, available at the Agendas link below.
MEETING AGENDAS, PACKETS, & MINUTES
Stephen Ryan, Chair
Diana Huot, Vice Chair
Robert Biggs, Regular Member
Julia May, Regular Member
Ernest Lowell, Associate Member
Andrew Bracy, Associate Member
Majlinda Mulla-Everett, Associate Member
Joseph Gunn, City Council Liaison
- Application for Certificate of Appropriateness
- An overview of the City of Saco history
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Historic District Design Guidelines (2010)
- Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation
- Historic sites and districts
- John Haley's Saco An interactive map showing locations of historic homes reviewed by John Haley
- Maine Historic Preservation Commission
- Meeting Schedule
- Preserving Historic Saco (Facebook page)
- Saco Downtown West Historic Preservation Report