Dog Licenses are issued by the City Clerk's Office (online license) & Finance Department (in-person licenses) first floor center lobby, City Hall. Licenses are issued for one year ending December 31st.
You may also register your dog online through the State of Maine web site. This online service will only be available from Oct. 15 - Jan. 31. Note: 2/3/21 Due to COVID restrictions, that State of Maine will be leaving the online system open until June 2, 2021.
New Licenses - If this is a first time registration, and the dog has been Neutered or Spayed, please bring in the Certificate showing the dog has been altered as well as the Rabies Certificate. New licenses need to be processed before the dog turns 6 months old, or if the dog is over 6 months old, then within 10 days of taking ownership, otherwise a $25.00 late fee will be assessed.
Renewal Licenses - For renewal registrations, you just need to bring in a current Rabies Certificate.
The fees are as follows:
- $6.00 for altered dog
- $11.00 for unaltered dog
- $42.00 for a Kennel with up to 10 dogs (Kennel means dogs used for breeding, hunting, show, training, field trials, sledding, competition or exhibition purposes). If more than 10 dogs in a Kennel, an additional fee of $42.00 will be charged.
- New Service Dogs - No Fee (A Service Dog Verification Form for Waiver of License Fee will need to be completed by applicant and a licensed Practitioner)
- Renewal licenses processed after January 31st, will incur a $25.00 late fee. Note: 2/3/21 Due to COVID restrictions, the state is not requiring municipalities to charge late fees until June 2, 2021
- $5.00 to have a rabies certificate faxed to City Hall.
You must present the following at the time of registration:
- A current Maine rabies certificate - If you need to have a rabies certificate faxed to City Hall, there will be $5.00 fax service charge in addition to the license fee.
- A neutering or spaying certificate if the dog has been altered
LATE FEE: A late fee of $25.00 will be charged for any license renewed after January 31st. Note: 2/3/21 Due to COVID restrictions, the state is not requiring municipalities to charge late fees until June 2, 2021.