slider border

Elections and Voting

On Election Day all voting will take place at the
Community Center a/k/a Parks & Rec. Building, 75 Franklin Street

The polls will be open from 7:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.


How do I register to vote?
You must be at least 17 years old to complete a voter registration application and at least 18 years old to actually vote.   Note:  At Primary Elections a 17 is eligible to vote a candidate ballot if they will be 18 by the November General Election.  They cannot vote a referendum ballot though at the Primary Election.

Where do I go to register?
You may register to vote at your City Hall, through any motor Vehicle branch office or at voter registration drives.   Completed voter registration cards may be delivered by hand or mailed to the City Clerk's Office.  Note:  If less than 21 days before an election, you must register in person.

Political parties recognized in the State of Maine

  •  Democratic Party
  •  Green Independent Party
  •  Republican Party
Other parties working to qualify

  •  Alliance Party - 12/31/2018 - Filed declaration of intent to form a Party by Party Enrollment.
  •  Libertarian - 12/3/2018 - Filed declaration of intent to form a Party by Party Enrollment.
  •  Socialist - 12/19/2018 - Filed declaration of intent to form a Party by Party Enrollment.

* In order for the Alliance, Libertarian, or Socialist Party to become a qualified party for the 2020 elections, they must enroll at least 5,000 voters in the proposed party by January 2, 2020.   A voter may enroll in any of these parties by completing a new Maine Voter Registration Application.  The voter must check the box next to "Other qualifying party:" and write in the party name.   These parties will not be pre-printed on the Maine Voter Registration Application until they become a qualified party.  If you enroll in one of these parties and they fail to qualify to participate in a Primary Election in 2020, the Secretary of State will remove the enrollment for each voter who is enrolled in the party by a batch process.  This batch process will change each voter's enrollment status to Unenrolled.

Unenrolled -This means you are not affiliated with any of the above parties.  Voters who want a designation of “Independent” are designated as Unenrolled on the voter list.

Enrollment Eligibility for the November 5, 2019 General & Referendum  Election- In a general election it does not matter what party you are in.  Each voter will be given a ballot that has candidates from all the political party designations and independents as well.   You can vote for any candidate that you want.  

Primary Elections, Caucus & Convention Enrollment Eligibility
A voter who files an application to change enrollment is ineligible to vote in a party caucus, convention or a Primary Election for 15 days after submitting the application to the Registrar.   **Exception to 15-day ineligibility:  Voters who move to a new municipality may enroll in a different party with no 15-day waiting period.  They get a "clean slate" when they move.

Unenrolled voters  - May enroll at any time, including Election Day, by completing and filing a new voter registration application with the Municipal Registrar - this is not considered a change of enrollment.  If a unenrolled voter chooses not to enroll in a party they will not be eligible to vote a party candidate ballot, but they can vote a referendum ballot.  A voter who enrolls on Election Day is ineligible to file a withdrawal application after voting.   

How long must a voter remain in a party?  -  Voters must remain in a party for 3 months before the voter can file an application for either a withdrawal (go to unenrolled) or a change in enrollment.   A voter who enrolls on Election Day is ineligible to file a withdrawal application after voting.  The voter must wait 3 months before filing an application to withdraw or change parties.

Are there other restrictions on withdrawal from a party? - There is also a 15-day waiting period for a voter who withdraws from a party, unless voter has moved to a new municipality.  The voter is ineligible to enroll in a different party for 15 days.   A voter may re-enroll in the same party within 15 days after filing a written request for withdrawal from a party.


All residents vote at the Community Center, 75 Franklin Street.  The polls are open from 7:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.   The gym is set up by Wards 1 through 7.


For more information about registration, statewide referenda and candidates, we suggest the Maine Secretary of State's Elections page.


Information on how to be a write-in candidate and how to vote for one may be found by following this link.

RANKED CHOICE VOTING -  Some races on the November 6, 2018 General election ballot will be determined via Ranked-choice voting which means the ballot will be laid out a bit differently to allow voters to "rank their choice" of candidates for each race as follows:  first choice, second choice, third choice and so forth.  

For more information on Ranked-choice voting you can visit the Department of the Secretary of State "Resources for Ranked-choice voting" webpage.


School Budget & Sample Ballot for the June 11, 2019 Budget Validation Referendum Election


Absentee ballots will be available on May 14th. 

Absentee voting will be conducted in the City Clerk Office on the first floor as follows: 
Monday - Thursday   8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. & extended hours on Thursday June 6th  - open until 7:00 p.m.

The last day to request a absentee ballot is Thursday, June 6th unless a "special circumstance" exists.   There will be no absentee voting on Friday, June 7, 2019 or  Monday, June 10, 2019.

Registered voters in Saco may request an absentee ballot from the City Clerk Office as follows:

  • in person
  • by immediate family member/domestic partner
  • by 3rd person -  A 3rd person is a aunt, uncle, friend or caregiver etc.  (Voter designates a 3rd person to deliver a ballot to them through a completed application.  The ballot is given to the 3rd person to deliver to the voter.  Ballot must be witnessed by a notary or 2 other individuals and noted on the ballot envelope.  If the voter is assisted in marking the ballot the aide must sign as aide on the ballot envelope and 1 other witness must verify and sign off.  The voter may return the ballot in person, but witness requirements still apply if a 3rd person handles the ballot going out or being returned.)  Note:  A 3rd person may have up to 5 absentee ballots for a municipality at one time.
  • by telephone 284-4831
  • by downloading an application and mailing it to:   City Clerk, 300 Main Street


Election results from previous elections may be found in our archives section

All Local, State & Federal Elections are administered and supervised by the City Clerk.

Election Clerk’s Needed
We are currently looking for individuals who would be interested in serving as Election Clerks on Election Day.  The Election Clerks are the election officials who are appointed to represent the qualified party in which they are enrolled and provide a check and balance in the electoral process. 

There are usually 2 elections per year and this is a paid position.    Workers are required to be available all day from 6:00 a.m. to roughly 10:00 p.m. with time off for breaks, lunch and dinner.

To be an Election Clerk you would need the following qualifications:

  • U.S. Citizen;
  • At least 18 years of age; except that student election clerks may be 17 years of age and may perform all the functions of an election clerk;
  • Registered voter in Saco;
  • Enrolled in one of the major or minor qualified parties.  Note:  Un-enrolled voters are also selected because sometimes there are insufficient major or minor party clerks available.

The duties of the Election Clerk are as follows:

  • Supervise Incoming Voting List – check voters off the list;
  • Hand out the appropriate ballot to the voters;
  • Supervise the Voting Machine – assist voters if they are having trouble inserting ballots into the machine;
  • Count Ballots at the end of the evening and prepare the Tally Sheets to give to the Warden for them to finalize;
  • Assist with putting all the election materials away at the end of the evening and securing used and unused ballots.

 If you have prior experience working at the polls or are just interested in politics and think you would like to give it a try, please contact the City Clerk’s Office at 284-4831 for further detailed information.