slider border

Work Permit

Work Permits

Minors under 16 years old must obtain a work permit before beginning a job. This includes home-schoolers. They must get a new permit every time they begin a new job until they reach 16 years old, even if they work for their parents.

In order to apply for a work permit, the minor must be:

  1. enrolled in school;
  2. not habitually truant or under suspension; and
  3. passing a majority of courses during the current grading period.

Employers must have a stamped, approved work permit on file before allowing any minor under 16 years old to work.

Once the minor has the promise of a job, she or he must take proof of age to the office of the superintendent of schools. Parental permission is required to work.

To contact the superintendent's office, please call (207)284-4505

Additional information regarding the work permit process can be found on the Maine Department of Labor's website by clicking here